What Is Custom Field?
Beyond basic contact information in a volunteer’s profile, you can collect and store further information about a volunteer in a “Custom Field”. When you add a Custom Field into the system and also include it on an application form, it will be part of every expression of interest to volunteer sent to your member agencies.
Custom Fields with something in common can be grouped together into a header. Your member agencies will also be able to add their own custom fields.
Add New Header
NoteIf you already have all the section headers you need, skip ahead to Add New Custom Field.
- Click the [+] button in the “Custom Field” header and click on “New Header” (or click the [+ New Header] button)
- Enter a header name (required, maximum 200 characters)
- Select the module(s) that will be used in the header. A header must share the same modules of any of the Custom Fields that will go under it. For example: A header with only volunteer module selected, can only contain a Custom Fields that have the Volunteer module selected. Just getting started? Choose volunteer if you are adding this header just for the volunteer profiles.
- Option: Enter a description (Just getting started? Just leave this blank.)
- Click the [Save] button
Add New Custom Field
- Go to: Configuration >> Custom Fields
- Click the [+] button in the “Custom Field” header and click on “New Custom Field” (or click the [+ New Custom Field] button).
- Enter a Custom Field name (required, maximum 200 characters)
- Select the header for the Custom Field from the drop-down list
- Select the modules that will use the Custom Field
- Select whether the Custom Field will be “Visible to all organizations” in your enterprise or only “Visible to selected organizations”, which will then enable you to select the specific organizations. (If you add more organizations to your enterprise, the Custom Field will automatically be visible to the new organizations if you choose “Visible to all organizations”. If you choose “Visible to selected organizations”, you will need to edit the Custom Field and manually make it visible to any new organizations.)
- Select what the volunteer can do with the Custom Field:
– Private: Only accessible to the administrator
– Read only: Data entered by the administrator can be seen by the volunteer but not edited
– Read/write with approval: Data entered by the volunteer requires approval by the administrator
– Read/write without approval: Data entered by the volunteer does not require approval
- Select the application forms on which this Custom Field will appear and whether or not a value is required by those filling in an application (Just getting started – just choose application 1)
- – Yes/No: a choice of selecting either “Yes” or “No”
– Date: valid date values only
– Number: valid numbers only (no punctuation) with optional decimal place
– Short Text: up to 100 characters
– Long Text: large amounts of text
– Drop Down: a custom list of choices
– Checkbox: a box that can be checked/unchecked
– File: a file can be uploaded (See: File Types)
- Optional: Enter a description.
- Click the [Save] button