What Is Custom Field?
Beyond basic contact information in a volunteer’s profile, you can collect and store further information about a volunteer in a “Custom Field”. Custom Fields with something in common can be grouped together into a header.
Add New Header
NoteIf you already have all the section headers you need, skip ahead to Add New Custom Field.
- Click the [+] button in the “Custom Field” header and click on “New Header” (or click the [+ New Header] button)
- Enter a header name (required, maximum 200 characters)
- Select the module(s) that will be used in the header. A header must share the same modules of any of the Custom Fields that will go under it. For example: A header with only volunteer module selected, can only contain a Custom Fields that have the Volunteer module selected. Just getting started? Choose volunteer if you are adding this header just for the volunteer profiles.
- Option: Enter a description (Just getting started? Just leave this blank.)
- Click the [Save] button
Add New Custom Field
- Go to: Configuration >> Custom Fields
- Click the [+] button in the “Custom Field” header and click on “New Custom Field” (or click the [+ New Custom Field] button).
- Enter a Custom Field name (required, maximum 200 characters)
- Select the header for the Custom Field from the drop-down list
- Select the modules that will use the Custom Field
- Select what the volunteer can do with the Custom Field:
– Private: Only accessible to the administrator
– Read only: Data entered by the administrator can be seen by the volunteer but not edited
– Read/write with approval: Data entered by the volunteer requires approval by the administrator
– Read/write without approval: Data entered by the volunteer does not require approval
- Select the application forms on which this Custom Field will appear and whether or not a value is required by those filling in an application (Just getting started – just choose application 1)
- – Yes/No: a choice of selecting either “Yes” or “No”
– Date: valid date values only
– Number: valid numbers only (no punctuation) with optional decimal place
– Short Text: up to 100 characters
– Long Text: large amounts of text
– Drop Down: a custom list of choices
– Checkbox: a box that can be checked/unchecked
– File: a file can be uploaded (See: File Types)
- Optional: Enter a description.
- Click the [Save] button
NoteOnce a Custom Field has been created, the one thing in a Custom Field that you cannot edit is the type of field that it is.
Can't find what you're looking for? No problem... We're Here to Help!Submit a support ticket to the Better Impact team