Links for Your Website and Email
The best way to get volunteers engaged is to have a link on your website that takes them to an online application form that feeds the data directly into your Volunteer Impact software. This link is unique to your organization and the Links for Website function helps you creates it. Whoever takes care of your website will likely know exactly what to do with this script and can change its appearance if desired.
At the organization level, you will also find that there is more than one link that can be generated and each one can serve a different purpose:
- Home Page (Activity List): link to a page showing General Interests and Activities that are visible to the public and the ability to fill in an application form
- Single Category Page: link to a page showing Activities in a single Category that are visible to the public
- Activity Page: link to a page showing a single Activity that is visible to the public
- Application Form: direct link to your volunteer application form
- eLearning Module: link to a specific eLearning Module
- Client Application Form: direct link to your client application form [requires Client Module]
Generate Signup Link
Full URL versus shortened URL:If you are posting a signup link to your website, you should only use the full URL. While URL shorteners are available, they should only be used if you are sending that link to someone who is about to fill in your application.
- Go to: Configuration >> Links for Website
- Choose the type of link to generate:
- Home Page (Activity List): Link to a page showing applicants a list of General Interests and Activities visible to the general public. From here, they can fill in a volunteer application form. Applicants can click on an Activity category heading to be directed to a page showing only the publicly-visible activities in that category.
- Single Category Page: Link to a page showing applicants a list of Activities from a single category that are visible to the general public. Select the category from the drop list.
- Activity Page: Link to a page showing applicants a single Activity that is visible to the general public. Select the Activity from the drop list.
- Application Form: Direct link to your application form.
- Select the application form to generate
- Optional: Enter link text
- Click the [Generate Link] button to generate a preview, a long URL that you can add to your website (or a short URL that can be sent to someone), or HTML code
When a volunteer clicks on your signup link, they can create a new profile (“I am new to MyVolunteerPage.com”) or re-use an existing profile (“I already have a username”) so that they only have to remember one username and password.
(If you also have “Client Module”, you’ll also see an option to generate a link to your Client Application Form.)