Assign a Volunteer From Inside a Volunteer Profile
Steps to Assign a Volunteer (or Group)
IMPORTANT:If you are assigning a volunteer to a scheduled Activity, it must have shifts occurring either today or in the future. If you need to assign a volunteer to an Activity that occurred in the past, you will need to go to Assign >> From Scheduled List and adjust the filters to display Activities for the desired date range.
- Type part of the volunteer’s name in the Quick Search bar OR …
- Go to: Assign >> From Volunteer Profile
- Search for the desired profile to edit (See: Search)
- In the Search Results section, hover over the options icon beside the person
- Click on “Edit”
- Click on the “Assign” tab
- In the “Filters” section you can choose to include specific activities based on a variety of conditions. These selections can then be made your default filters when you assign volunteers from within their profiles:
- Only include activities that the volunteer is qualified for
- Only include activities that have openings available (the number of unlocked shifts coming up will be displayed beside the activity, in the “S” column)
- Only include activities that allow group signups [this option will only display if the profile you are editing has been defined as a group in the “Miscellaneous” section of the “Main” tab of the profile]
- Generally Available – Activities with Schedule Classifications that match the volunteer’s General Availability)
- Signed Up – Activities for which the volunteer has already signed up
- Assigned – Activities to which the volunteer has already been assigned
- On the backup List – Activities for which the volunteer is on the backup list
- Category – include only Activities from a specific Category by selecting it from the drop list.
- Click on the link to the desired Activity. If this is a scheduled Activity, you can filter for specific days, start times, whether or not the volunteer has signed up already, and the page size (which will determine how many shifts display). Click the [Filter Shifts] button to apply the filters you have chosen.
- Assign the volunteer:
- For scheduled activities, check the box in the “As” column for each applicable shift. You can also click the “As” box at the top of the list to assign the volunteer to all shifts. Click the [Save] button to assign the volunteer to the selected shifts, then click the [Close] button when you are done.
- For unscheduled activities, check the “Assigned” box and click the [Save] button
Troubleshooting: Why can’t I see the Activity I need to assign my volunteer to in their profile?
When you go to the Assign tab in a person’s profile, you will see a list of filters. If some of these filters are checked, it could be preventing you from seeing an Activity to which you would like to assign the volunteer. These filters will enable you to see Activities that:
- match a volunteer’s general availability (i.e. their general availability corresponds to days/times specified in the Activity’s shifts)
- the volunteer is qualified for (i.e. their Qualifications match those specified in the Activity)
- the volunteer has signed up for
- the volunteer has been assigned to
- the volunteer is on the backup list for
- belong to a specific Activity Category.
Also, any Activities that have been made “inactive” or have no current or future shifts (i.e. all the shifts occurred in the past) will not display in this tab.
Abbreviations Used in the Assign Tab
When you go to the Assign tab in a volunteer’s profile, you’ll see some abbreviations listed beside the Activities to which you will assign the volunteer:
- Mn: The minimum number of volunteers needed for that shift
- Mx: The maximum number of volunteers needed for that shift (if no maximum (i.e. auto lock) was specified, this will be blank)
- BL: The number of volunteers that are on the backup list for the Activity
- SU: The number of volunteers that are signed up for the shift but have not yet been assigned
- As: The number of volunteers that have been assigned to the shift
- Co: The number of assigned volunteers that have confirmed their assignment
- SG: The scheduling gap between the number of volunteers confirmed for the assignment and the minimum number of volunteers needed for the assignment
- GS: If group scheduling has been enabled, this will indicate the number of people that are part of this assignment. By default, it will be equal to 1.
- L: The shift / activity is locked (i.e. full). No further volunteers can sign up for it, but an administrator can assign as many people as needed.
- O: This shift overlaps with something that the volunteer is currently assigned to. It is a warning, so you can still assign the volunteer if you want to.
- T: This indicates that the volunteer is assigned to something else that is scheduled that day. It is a warning, so you can still assign the volunteer if you want to.
You’ll see a checkmark if the shift overlaps with something the volunteer is already scheduled for. You can click on the “Overlap” checkmark to see the details of the overlap. You can also click on the “Today” checkmark to see the volunteer’s assignments for that day.