Custom Fields in a Client Profile
What Is a Custom Field?
Beyond basic contact information in a client’s profile, you can collect and store further information about a client in a “Custom Field”. Custom Fields with something in common can be grouped together into a header.
Add New Header
NOTE:If you already have all the section headers you need, skip ahead to Add New Custom Field.
- Click the [+] button in the “Custom Field” header and click on “New Header” (or click the [+ New Header] button)
- Enter a header name (required, maximum 200 characters)
- Select the module(s) that will be used in the header. A header must share the same modules of any of the Custom Fields that will go under it. For example: A header with only Client module selected, can only contain Custom Fields that have the Client module selected.
- Option: Enter a description (Just getting started? Just leave this blank.)
- Click the [Save] button
Add New Custom Field
- Go to: Configuration >> Custom Fields
- Click the [+] button in the “Custom Field” header and click on “New Custom Field” (or click the [+ New Custom Field] button).
- Custom Field: Enter a Custom Field name (required, maximum 200 characters)
- Header: Select the header for the Custom Field from the drop-down list
- Modules: Select the modules that will use the Custom Field
- Permissions: Select what the client can do with the Custom Field:
- Private: Only accessible to the administrator
- Read only: Data entered by the administrator can be seen by the client but not edited
- Read/write with approval: Data entered by the client requires approval by the administrator
- Read/write without approval: Data entered by the client does not require approval
- MyVolunteerPage.com: Select whether or not this Custom Field will appear to clients when they edit their profile and whether or not a value is required
- Client Application Form: Select whether or not this Custom Field will appear and whether or not a value is required by those filling in an application
- Type: Select the desired type of field to create. Please note that you cannot change the type after you have created/saved the field.
- Yes/No: a choice of selecting either “Yes” or “No”
- Date: valid date values only
- Number: valid numbers only (no punctuation) with optional decimal place (no leading zero)
- Short Text: up to 100 characters (a leading zero can be used)
- Long Text: large amounts of text
- Drop Down: a custom list of choices
- Checkbox: a box that can be checked/unchecked
- File: a file can be uploaded (See: File Types)
- Description: Optional: Enter a description.
- Click the [Save] button
NOTE:Once a Custom Field has been created, the one thing in a Custom Field that you cannot edit is the type of field you created.
Enter your keywords and press Enter.